Facial oils are an excellent way to boost hydration deep-down. They are very concentrated formulas that don’t contain any drying ingredients, like alcohol, and they are usually self-preserving. That means that they don’t require harmful preservatives to keep them fresh. Adding a facial oil to your routine is the equivalent to feeding your skin a vitamin smoothie twice a day!
You might be noticing that your usual routine isn’t quite cutting it these days. That’s because as the temperature drops outside and the heating goes on inside, our skin loses valuable moisture. During winter, our skin needs extra hydration to keep it looking plump and healthy.
10 WAYS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR FACIAL OIL
1. Check the label. A high quality facial oil will be 97-100% plant-based, and preferably organic. Watch out for inferior ingredients, like glycerine, making up the bulk of the formula.
2. Don’t be deterred by the name “Facial Oil” if you have oily or blemish-prone skin. Not all oil blends are created equally; some are wonderful for helping balance the complexion, while others are better for dry or mature skin. Look for a good facial oil formulated specifically for your skin type.
3. Apply your facial oil sparingly to DAMP skin, using your fingertips, and start with the driest parts of your face first. This is a really important step that most people miss. By applying your facial oil to slightly damp skin, it spreads much easier and will sink in better. A spritz of hydrosol or a splash of water is all that is needed.
4. Less is more. The goal is hydrated, semi-matte skin. Don’t apply facial oils using the same quantities as a water-based product or it just won’t absorb properly. Usually just a few drops are required to nourish the entire face and neck areas.
5. If you have dry, chapped or mature skin, apply a cream-based moisturiser over top of your facial oil to lock in hydration, and create a protective barrier against the elements.
6. Use it up. Make a habit of applying your facial oil morning and night, every day. The botanicals in self-preserving facial oils are the most active within 3-6 months of opening.
add a facial oil to your beauty routine
7. Keep the lid on tight. This will help keep those precious botanicals working harder for longer. Storage in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight is also a good idea.
8. Fingers out! Don’t put anything in the jar that might contaminate the product inside. Keeping your facial oil as clean as possible will help it last longer.
9. Be creative. Did you know that facial oils can be applied in a variety of ways? Use them to get rid of hair frizzies, hydrate cracked cuticles, heal a cut or burn, and to soothe wind and sunburns.
10. Look for facial oils that use organic essential oils in the formula. That way you get all the benefits of an aromatherapy treatment, and avoid artificial fragrance and perfume, which can be harmful to your health.