For some, the holiday party season is an exciting and much anticipated time of year. The time for extreme socializing; shopping, going out to parties, meeting up after work, dinners out, and late nights. For others, the idea of all the extra hoopla, small talk, long days and steady stream of unfamiliar faces can be unbearable.
We’ve come up with 6 top tips to help you reduce social anxiety this season, and feel happy and healthy the next time you step out.
Reduce Social Anxiety During the holidays
1. Channel Your Inner Marilyn. Have a glass of champagne, smile and laugh at other peoples jokes. Granted this might be VERY hard, depending on your company. But studies have shown that the simple act of smiling, even just making the face, can significantly improve you mood and induce actual feelings of happiness. Bonus: if you look and feel happy, you will attract happy (and hopefully funny) people. Sounds good to us!
2. Listen More Than You Talk. Anxiety can come from anticipating moments of awkward silences and meaningless small talk. It may come as a surprise that you don’t have to think up an elevator speech on the way to your next party. People LOVE to talk about themselves. Let them. Look them in the eye, acknowledge that you are listening with a nod or two, and jump into the conversation when it feels natural.
3. Stand Up Straight. According to Oprah, you can slim down while standing still. Good posture not only makes you look confident, but it can also make you look up to 10 pounds thinner! So, stick out your booty, open your chest and move your ribs forward. Done. Now pass the mince pies.
4. Wear A Statement Piece. Choose something that makes you feel comfortable and special. A beautiful dress or an eye-catching piece of jewelry can be a great conversation starter. This also works in reverse. Paying someone a compliment on their statement piece is a great way to break the ice. Just make sure it’s a real compliment.
5. Work On Your Outer Glow. Nothing radiates health and confidence like glowing skin. Spending extra time on your skin during the hectic holidays is a great way to nurture your feminine spirit and relax. Enhance both your physical and spiritual wellbeing by choosing products that nourish your skin and apply them with intention.
6. Go Home Before it’s Too Late. Timing is everything, don’t get sloppy at the end.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
As always, we are here to provide information and resources. Awake Organics is not affiliated with any of the third parties mentioned in this post. The content in this post is not sponsored, and is not intended as medical advice. Please read our General Health & Wellbeing Disclaimer for details.